Monday, June 24, 2013

Oh for the love of candy!

Trick-or-Treat!

This year Hailey was a model. It is the same costume as last year when she was an actress...minus the shawl and the trophy...add the sway when she walks and the 7 y/o model attitude and all the glitter a girl can wear! We've been watching America's Next Top Model lately and she's really getting into it! I'm sure that was her inspiration.
Peyton was a cat. The only thing she can do on command is meow. I couldn't get her to say 'boo' or anything that resembled 'trick-or-treat.' Altho she didn't meow for a single person until we were walking away and they were well out of earshot. So much for the countless hours of practice with her.
Once Peyton realized that people were willingly putting candy in her bucket or even letting her get her own, she was running to the next spot. Next year will be spent with Phillip and I at full speed, I'm sure. At one point Peyton was getting tired and her little bucket was dragging behind her so I started putting a majority of the candy in Hailey's bucket so Hailey could take the lesser of the two and continue while Phillip carried the full bucket....Peyton was not having it! She actually starting yelling "Mine! Mine!" Too cute.
She earned it, therefore she was keeping it!

Off the track of childlike joy...Phillip and I got to talking on the way home and to the both of us, it just seems weird to go trick-or-treating. Here I am, taking my kids to stranger's houses and telling them that it's okay to ask for candy...even tho they can't eat it until we get home b/c I have to check it to make sure nobody tampered with it. Maybe I'm the nut.
Why do we enforce the rule of 'don't talk to strangers' if we don't really mean it? No wonder kids don't ever believe what their parents say. I felt out of place, like I had to chat with those who seemed like they wanted to chat. It's more difficult with a small child, one you have to take to the door, who's not completely sure of the whole concept.
Phillip and I are more reserved in things like this. I'm sure that as Peyton gets older and Phillip and I are able to stay at the sidewalk and watch, that it might not be so bad. Granted, the feeling of begging will never really go away.
I hope that as the kids get older and are out doing their own thing that if trick-or-treaters come to our door times will have changed enough that stranger and poisoned candy and begging are no longer a worry. I know, it will never happen but...

originally posted October 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment